[Spellyans] dictionnaire de l'Académie française

ewan wilson butlerdunnit at ntlworld.com
Tue Feb 1 20:12:10 GMT 2011

Though no expert by any means my instincts are with Herbie and Ray.
The 'fine tuning' of pronunciation is perhaps best left to a good learner's dictionary with a half decent pronunciation guide for English speakers.
Normal Cornish orthography meanwhile, as Ray says, must not depart from the historic orthographic bases too radically or authenticity will be lost. Easing pronunciation for learners may be a laudable but misguided goal.  Adopting a spelling system based on too much deduction may simply have the effect of ingraining what turns out to be error! I'd rather have a system of spellings that is substantially found in the historic manuscripts and might require a little extra effort to master pronuciations - though there is no excuse for a lack of a good learner's dictionary to supply this central concern- than a tendentious system perilously removed from the original texts and so open both to major potential faults and accusations of not being 'proper' or authentic Cornish.

Ewan.