[Spellyans] diacritics

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Tue Feb 1 22:12:57 GMT 2011

  _____

From: Eddie Climo
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:25 PM

“I would like to hear from other members of this forum, so that we might form a view of their consensus on this matter. Fellow 'Spellyansoryon', the issue before us is this:

—      Should the diacritics in KS be mandatory in all writings?”

In KS, yes. I no longer see KS as an improvement to the SWF, but as an orthography in its own right. I would welcome the introduction of a limited number of diacritics in the SWF, but not necessarily those used in KS.

—      Should they be optional in all writings?

Yes.

—      Should they be hightly recommented in lexicographic/reference/didactic writings and optional elsewhere?

They would be an integral part of the orthography and mandatory in all writings.

—      Or should they have some other role?

Diacritics should have one distinct purpose, e.g. circumflex for irregular vowel length, grave for irregular shortness, diaeresis for a different sound.

—      Furthermore, do we currently have a surfeit of diacritics? Could we idealy do with fewer of them?”

Yes, I would reduce the number of diacritics where possible.