[Spellyans] dictionnaire de l'Académie française

Christian Semmens christian.semmens at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 09:09:07 GMT 2011

But it is this inability to reliably pronounce words which is one of the
banes of other Cornish orthographies. Without access to a living teacher
with good pronunciation, how are you to guess how a word is pronounced?
Check it in a dictionary? Every word? Every word would need to have an IPA
description and every learner would need a thorough knowledge of IPA, and
every word would need to be checked to see if its pronunciation was
anomalous. This is the situation we currently have with all other
orthographies except KS.

Pronunciation is not a misguided goal, it is the majority of what makes a
living language, the other side of the coin being able to read and write.
Living in total isolation and communicating only by written word is OK for
us isolated people, but there is no substitute for talking and if no one can
understand your utterances then how are you to accomplish that?

The accents in KS allow an accurate pronunciation to be assessed without
disturbing traditional word forms. They amount to little more than
decoration, not a fundamental alteration to the traditional form of the
word.

To mandate the use of diacritics means that all publications in KS are
easily used by a learner to reproduce the sounds of Cornish reliably, what
they write to each other, on the other hand, is up to them. No one can
mandate correct spelling! If people speel wurds wrongly, make typographical
errors or use grammar and syntax that isn't the bestest grammar and syntax,
then that is down to either their own ignorance or choice. No one can
*force* them to do otherwise, but to publish these errors would not be
acceptable practice.

To fail to mandate diacritics in KS means that, as Jon so clearly put it, it
looses it's raison d'être. If you wish to attempt to use unadorned Latin
characters then you must, perforce, mess with the traditional word forms and
you get something like KK. If you strip KS of diactirics, you end up with
the same problems that dogged UC/R and still dog the SWF. Ambiguous
pronunciation. If learners can make mistakes, they will (I know that only
too well myself!) why make it more difficult?

Regards,
Christian