[Spellyans] diacritics

Herbie Blackburn kevin.blackburn1 at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 2 10:32:13 GMT 2011

As far as the official spelling German uses daereses most of the time, and
it is mandated ¨C but when working in Germany for 2 years I came across many
uses of the digraph by Germans who just saw it as a practical stop gap in
certain situations ¨C e.g. in eMails using standard keyboards, on
multinational projects hwre other users couldn¡¯t be expected to use the
daeresis, in SMS txts where it was just quicker (this might prove an area in
Cornish that needs considering), and people even had their names in email
addresses written with a digraph rather than a daeresis (so that it was
truelly typable easily worldwide) e.g. St¨¹r became Stuer etc. The same is
true of the German ¦Â for ¡®ss¡¯. All Germans know the correct spellings,
and in formal documents it is used, but there¡¯s no way to stop practical
use of the digraph or simply dropping the diacritics if people choose to. I
think that whatever the official line is, this will always be true. So have
a correct spelling system with daereses and other diacritics, but recognise
the above.

Craig wrote

How can diacritics be declared mandatory, and hope to control that,
when users will go their own way no matter what we say?  Diacritics
always used to be written in loan-words into English that had them,
but are now rarely seen.  Even apostrophes are disappearing from
English (crazy, but true).  We would have no power of control.  Strong
recommendation of their use is all we can realistically achieve.