[Spellyans] diacritics

Ceri Young rcr_young at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 2 11:59:22 GMT 2011

I agree with Craig & Herbie's point here - that diacritics are ultimately
unenforceable.

Beyond that, Michael's 'everything in an orthography is mandatory' line troubles
me - it indicates that KS is really being designed as a highly
formal orthography for officialdom and the editing world of the publishing
house, but clearly not one with the real world of a living language in mind,
since it has virtually been designed to be unceremoniously dumped or at least
scraped clean for the intimate and less formal world of SMS
messages, e-mails, Facebook posts, cursive handwriting or any written exchanges
between fluent Cornish speakers to whom an orthography which slavishly labours
how it's pronounced with diacritsis actually superfluous.

I agree that the complete system has clear virtues for a the formal publications
& communications of a language in the process of revival (I don't see anyone
arguing against that) but then, does it not appear to lack ambition for Cornish
attaining even greater vitality as a language of extensive interpersonal
communications of all levels of formality? Of becoming a daily language of
regular SMS, e-mails, internet postings, cursive handwriting & private, informal
exchanges between fluent speakers? I'd even question if it was a little too
slavish for letters sent into magazines, where a magazine editor would publish
them, as received.

Cornwall will decide how its language is to be rendered - and if KS has been
designed to be too cumbersome outside of the most formal applications then at
least be prepared to see Cornwall dump it for a more multi-purpose orthography,
or to use it but to routinely plane off its diacritics in casual use. I disagree
that an aversion to diacritics is an 'English' phenomenon - it could also be
described as a British one, because the Welsh avoid them too in the informal
spheres of their written, living language - the usage of diacritics in 1900 was
far more extensive than in 2000, and on Facebook, you'll barely see them at all,
bar perhaps their most beloved 'to-bach' (despite the indifference it's met with
in the world of font design).

Is there truly no scope for a 'KS-lite', as it were,- an compromised or
minimal system understood & conceded for deployment in informal applications
which could assert a casual claim the orthography is being used, but in a more
liberal, lackadaisical way. - Perhaps by stripping the diacritics off most words
bar the homographs which can be distinguished from each other by them? (Casually
retaining them vestigially on homographs (or perhaps a few other distinctive
elements) at least doffs a cap to the formal, full-blown orthographic system.)

Ol an gwella,
Ceri Young