[Spellyans] diacritics

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Feb 2 13:40:03 GMT 2011

On 2 Feb 2011, at 13:29, Craig Weatherhill wrote:

> I think there's a problem of wording here.

I think that people are getting stuck on words. Not you, Craig. But others.

> "Mandatory" sounds as though we're dictating.

Yes, well people need to learn how to read and not to get all whacked out about words like this.

We've specified an orthography. Like every other orthography, its rules are, well, rules. They're not meant to be broken. Get it, everybody? There is correct spelling in English. If one doesn't follow those rules, then the spelling is incorrect.

Correct spelling is mandatory in English, if you want to spell correctly.
Correct spelling is mandatory in KS, if you want to spell correctly.

The use of diacritical marks as specified is essential for correct spelling in KS. They are not optional. They are an important functional part of the orthography.

I keep pasting in the following text, because I have yet to get a sense that many people in this discussion has read it and understood it.

=====
Six Cornish letters can take diacritical marks to make pronunciation clear.

â, à, ê, è, ë, î, ô, ò, û, ù, ÿ

These diacritical marks are important and should be learned as a proper part of the words which have them. If you write them regularly, they will help you to pronounce words more correctly, and they will help others to read what you write more easily.
=====

That's the "recommendation". The recommendation is that diacritics are "a proper part" of the words that have them. That means they're not "optional". It means that they're "mandatory". It means that they should always be used whenever one writes KS.

> It's obvious that diacritics are essential to the KS system.  Perhaps better to make that plain, to say that all KS publications will feature them, and that their everyday use is highly recommended/encouraged to assist problems of pronunciation.

Well, Craig... isn't that what is said here?

=====