[Spellyans] diacritics

Jed Matthews ebost.truru at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 2 13:54:52 GMT 2011

KS may be Cornish, but Cornish is not KS. Cornish has many "correct" ways of
spelling, because it has many orthographies. English, French and Spanish all
have one orthography. It's either right or wrong.

You can make the case (which I believe you are doing) that spelling KS
without diacritics is spelling KS wrong. There is nothing wrong with that
argument. If KS became the standard orthography for Cornish, it would then
(and only then) be fair to say that spelling Cornish without diacritics was
wrong. But how likely is it that KS will become the SWF? In 2013? Ever?

This discussion should not be based on the assumption that KS will one day
become the SWF. We need to focus on proposing improvements to the SWF that
are likely to find wide favour among Cornish speakers of all persuasions. If
it's obvious that a certain proposal will not find such wide favour, no
matter how strong the linguistic arguments, we should not be spending time
pushing the matter. It can only serve to marginalise KS.

Jed