[Spellyans] Cornish keyboard layout

Thomas Leigh callanish at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 05:59:14 GMT 2011

I have created a Linux version of the keyboard layout for Cornish that
I posted on Monday for Windows. However, I'm having a couple of issues
with it — I don't know if any of the other Linux users on the list
might be able to help sort these out; I'm just a casual Linux user,
not an expert by any stretch of the imagination!

The problems are these: first, the UK keyboard layout that comes with
Linux, at least Ubuntu-based distros (I'm using Linux Mint 10), has
all sorts of third-level characters and dead keys already enabled. The
ones I specifically set work, but I can't seem to get rid of all the
other ones that my layout apparently inherits from the parent UK
layout. Second, while I can both select my new keyboard manually
and/or set it as the default whenever the computer boots up, I cannot
get it to appear in the list of available keyboard layouts in the
keyboard settings app that you select from the applications menu. If
anyone has any ideas how to make that happen, I'd be glad to hear
them.

Having said that, on to the layout. First, you need to add my Cornish
variant of the UK keyboard layout to the list of available variants.
Open the file "/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/gb" in a text editor with
root/superuser privileges (e.g. if you're using Gnome, run the command
"gksu gedit /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/gb"). This is the file which
contains all the UK keyboard layout variants (the basic default
layout, plus Dvorak and several others). Copy the layout code from the
text file attached to this email and paste it at the end of the "gb"
file, then save.

Now to manually switch to this layout, enter this command in a
terminal or run dialogue box: "setxkbmap -layout gb -variant cornish".

To make this layout the default layout for the computer, open (again,
with root or superuser privileges) the file
"/etc/default/console-setup" (some systems have
"/etc/default/keyboard" — it should be one or the other) and find the
XKB settings section. It should look something like this:

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="gb"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""

Change this section to read as follows:

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="gb"
XKBVARIANT="cornish"
XKBOPTIONS=""

Save the file and restart your computer so that the changes take
effect. The Cornish keyboard layout should now be the default keyboard
layout.

Again, any comments and suggestions for improvement are most welcome.

Regards to all,

Thomas