[Spellyans] Cornish keyboard layout

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Fri Feb 4 16:10:19 GMT 2011

Thomas,

I have now installed your "Cornish_UK" keyboard onto my PC with Windows XP.
I have tested it. It seems to work as you described.
This shows that at least two people on this forum can create custom keyboard
layouts for Windows PCs. I attach my findings.

There were a couple of apparent errors when Caps Lock was on but nothing
that cannot be fixed. All of the necessary symbols for writing
fully-accented KS can be typed. Some of my findings were unexpected but are
explained by the behaviour of MS Word and my graphics card software.

You included a slightly different set of "other characters" from my layout,
Cornish "Layout04". Your daggers could be useful, and so could the
controlled quotes, especially for Late Cornish but also for Gaelic.

I found that it was quicker to type when using my own Cornish "Layout04" but
then I'm use to it.

We have been told that keyboard layouts can be produced for the Macintosh
but I cannot test that as I don't have access to a Macintosh. However, I
will test your keyboard layout for Linux Mint.

I had a look at my mobile phone. It's a Nokia 6700s (which uses the Symbian
OS - as most phones in the world still do).
It can "type" æåàáäâã, èéëê, ìíïî, øòóöôõ, ùúüû, ý

Note that it cannot "type" ỳÿŷ. Does anyone know of a way to change this?
There must be a way to do it.

I think that accented y is still best avoided in KS. I suppose that we could
always write ë and say ÿ.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim