[Spellyans] lyw & lew

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Fri Feb 11 14:34:14 GMT 2011

Jon,

   The SWF gives lewyow for the plural and the verbal nouns lewya and lewa (RLC), so it would make sense to assume that lew should be a permitted variant. According to Schrijver this word can be grouped in the same category as clew, clewes and goes back to PIE *pleu- ‘float, sail’ > PBr *luu̯i̯o- or *luu̯ī- giving W llyw, OC leu, B lev-, V leù; Schrijver says the Welsh development differs vis à vis the Cornish and Breton development by -uu̯i̯o- ~ -uu̯ī- > LPBr *ɪw by i-affection rather than C/B -uu̯i̯o- ~ -uu̯ī- > -ou̯i- > SW-LPBr *ew. Hence we should have SWF lew like clew.

   OC leu from L leo is correctly lew in the SWF, though lion should also be given.

Dan

  _____