[Spellyans] loan words

Owen Cook owen.e.cook at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 05:17:47 GMT 2011

On 19 February 2011 06:13, Eddie Climo <eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 2011 Whe 19, at 09:13, Craig Weatherhill wrote:
>
> ... In France, they campaign against "Franglais"; in Russia, against
> "Russlish".  I think Cornish needs to minimise "Cornglish".

And yet no English speaker learning French would look at a sentence
like « Le gouvernement a décidé de changer sa politique afin de se
concilier avec l'Opposition et avec la société civile » and say,
"That's not French!" Even though every single content word in the
sentence is exactly cognate with its English equivalent (and probably
with its Spanish, Italian and Portuguese equivalents). Neither would
any monoglot English speaker, picking up Tregear's Homilies, mistake
them for English.

I see our preoccupation with lexical purism as a function of (1) the
political use of Cornish as an anti-English gesture, and (2) the
insecurities of a community of people who're learning Cornish as a
second language and are not really confident about it as an autonomous
language (in the sense of parole not langue). There's nothing
necessarily wrong with attaching a political dimension to the Cornish
revival, and it's certainly understandable that a community of
learners should feel to some extent insecure; however, I don't think
either factor should be allowed to dictate the linguistic corpus. I
note that Nicholas, on the other hand, who has done so much over the
years to combat inauthenticity in usage and idiom in revived Cornish,
has far fewer hang-ups about using borrowed lexemes. And it's no
coincidence that he knows Cornish inside and out.

> And just to clarify that the word 'burlesque' is not being used in its more
> recent US sense of a strip show, here's a further definition (to forestall
> any pedantic quibblers):

Burlesque, in the US sense of the word, is much more than a strip
show! It's a campy, light-hearted vaudeville-esque farce that just
happens to involve pasties. (Though not Cornish pasties.) (Usually.)

~~Owen