[Spellyans] loan words

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Sun Feb 20 09:24:26 GMT 2011

Well said Owen.  I think it's about time some of us grew up.  In other
words the revival is mature enough to give us the ability, safely, to
tell it as it is.

The whole unfortunate Common Cornish debacle was of course an "anti-
English" gesture for which the SWF and KS have had, necessarily, to be
marred.  I have heard Common Cornish promoters openly say; 'why would
we want to spell Cornish in a way that reflects the influence of our
English oppressors'.  Piffle !

On 20 Whe 2011, at 05:17, Owen Cook wrote:

> I see our preoccupation with lexical purism as a function of (1) the
> political use of Cornish as an anti-English gesture, and (2) the
> insecurities of a community of people who're learning Cornish as a
> second language and are not really confident about it as an autonomous
> language (in the sense of parole not langue). There's nothing
> necessarily wrong with attaching a political dimension to the Cornish
> revival, and it's certainly understandable that a community of
> learners should feel to some extent insecure; however, I don't think
> either factor should be allowed to dictate the linguistic corpus. I
> note that Nicholas, on the other hand, who has done so much over the
> years to combat inauthenticity in usage and idiom in revived Cornish,
> has far fewer hang-ups about using borrowed lexemes. And it's no
> coincidence that he knows Cornish inside and out.

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow

   Agan Tavas web site:  www.agantavas.com