[Spellyans] loan words

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Sun Feb 20 13:18:24 GMT 2011

Wherever alternatives exist, and those are loan-words, I do prefer to
use the Cornish word over the loan-word.  However, when making a
lengthy speech or writing textual material, the loan words come in
very useful to prevent repetition and to expand the vocabulary.  From
my viewpoint, it's a matter of preference, rather than prejudice.

Craig

On 20 Whe 2011, at 12:23, Eddie Climo wrote:

> On 2011 Whe 20, at 11:00, Michael Everson wrote:
>> ... In my article "'An event of great signicance' [sic]: Review of
>> George's Gerlyver Kres", I wrote:…"Perthi kov" cannot be used in a
>> phrase such as "remember vy dhe’th whor" ‘remember me to your sister’
>
> Really? Although I've never come across the idiom usd in this way,
> it would seem reasonable to say, "Porth cof ahanaf dhe'th whor." But
> perhaps this has the wrong idiomatic flavour in Cornish.
>
> However, it appears you've fallen into the common trap for the
> inexperienced translator, that of attempting a too literal rendering
> of one language's idiom into another's. I still fall into that one
> occasionally, even after all the translating I've done!
>
> Nance (1938, 1952) offers us this more native possibility:
> gorhemmyn. … send greeting (J.Boson), they send remebrances to you
> [1952 sub. remember. they wish to be remembered to you.] ymons-y ow-
> corhemmyn dheugh-why.
>
> This Cornish idiom would do the trick, perhaps in some form such as:
> Lavar dhe'th whor my dhe worhemmyn dhedhy.
>

> Eddie Foirbeis Climo
> Dres ethom akennow byner re bo lyeshes
> Accenti non multiplicandi praeter necessitatem

Craig Weatherhill