[Spellyans] loan words

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 23 06:46:36 GMT 2011

On 2011 Whe 23, at 00:04, ewan wilson wrote:
> ... I think pellgowser is far more euphonic and just asks to be used!!

Agreed. I also like 'dywyver' for a radio, it being of course a calque on the obsolescent English 'wireless'. I also like the distinction many Kernewegoryon make between this pair, an English loan and a native Brythonic word:
torchen - an electric torch
faklen - a flaming torch.

Oddly enough, these last two were amongst the first words I ever learnt in Cornish, along with 'banallek', a furze thicket (with geminate -ll-, mind you!)

Eddie Climo