[Spellyans] loan words

Ceri Young rcr_young at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 23 23:13:57 GMT 2011

Michael, why would you insist such a loan word would need to be 'native
Brythonic' anyway? Welsh, Breton & Cornish emerged from a Romano-Brittonic
language, didn't they? Their common base is not purely Celtic, so why the
hostility to a loan word that Welsh anciently borrowed from Latin, but which on
this occasion, Cornish apparently didn't, if it patches a hole in the language?
It's a product of the same ancient forge and raw materials. Unless it breaks
general rules by which SW Brittonic would have assimilated a Latin loan word, in
the way of its appearence etc. I'd love to know what your objections are.

I learn from this forum that it's horribly 'prejudicial' for Cornish speakers to
wish to avoid what they might deem unnecessarily borrowed Anglicisms, but not at
all 'prejudicial' to propose to purge Revived Cornish of its more recently
borrowed words from Cornish's Romano-Brittonic sibling languages. How would
Spellyans seek to police such assertions? And when will Spellyans choose to
deem the revived language as sufficiently alive that Cornish speakers are able
to shape their own language via their own usage, independently of the
constraints imposed by the attested lexicon?

Best wishes,
Ceri.