[Spellyans] loan words

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Feb 24 00:49:31 GMT 2011

On 23 Feb 2011, at 23:13, Ceri Young wrote:

> Michael, why would you insist such a loan word would need to be 'native Brythonic' anyway?

I didn't. And I didn't assert that the word in question was "native Brythonic".

> Welsh, Breton & Cornish emerged from a Romano-Brittonic language, didn't they?

No. They are descendants of an insular Celtic language which happened to have experienced contact with Latin.

> Their common base is not purely Celtic, so why the hostility to a loan word that Welsh anciently borrowed from Latin, but which on this occasion, Cornish apparently didn't, if it patches a hole in the language?

I have offered no hostility whatsoever to any word. I pointed out that one word was a Latin loanword. I did not say anything about the suitability of that word for use in Revived Cornish.

> I learn from this forum that it's horribly 'prejudicial' for Cornish speakers to wish to avoid what they might deem unnecessarily borrowed Anglicisms, but not at all 'prejudicial' to propose to purge Revived Cornish of its more recently borrowed words from Cornish's Romano-Brittonic sibling languages.

Every word attested in the Cornish texts is precious.