[Spellyans] Didactolects vs consensus

Dr Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Thu Feb 24 09:56:01 GMT 2011

Approaches to teaching Cornish have, so far, tended to prescribe a particular version of Cornish for pedagogical purposes. Such models I call 'didactolects'. Indeed teachers seem to think that a didactolect is a prerequisite for teaching and learning Cornish, and they select dictionaries and course books, etc. for their students according to their own preferred didactolect.

However a prescriptive approach of this kind is not necessarily in the best interest of the learner. A learner today, who wishes to be able to read and write revived Cornish and converse with other members of the Cornish language community will inevitably encounter variation in language use. This variation will include lexical variation, syntactic variation and, of course, orthographic variation.

With regard to the latter, it has been noted for some time now that a "single written form" is needed. However a single written form can only come about when the community as whole adopts a given form by consensus. Thus a single written form cannot be prescribed by any individual, or by any institution, official or otherwise. It is unlikely that consensus on orthography will occur in the foreseeable future.
Ol an gwella,
Jon

Dr. Jon Mills,
University of Kent