[Spellyans] dictionnaire de l'Académie française

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Sun Jan 30 09:58:31 GMT 2011

Herbie is making a lot of sense here.  I have always maintained that
if the Cornish revival is to have credibility its written form must
approach the forms of Cornish written down by our ancestors.

Only by reflecting, as far as possible within the bounds of their
irregularities, the Cornish of the texts can we avoid the 'badly
restored painting' charge.

On 29 Gen 2011, at 22:36, Herbie Blackburn wrote:

> My main question would be – were diacritics always used in the
> heyday of Cornish literature? Having looked at folios of the
> Ordinalia I think they did not have diacritics in the general text,
> maybe elsewhere?
> If not – then I suggest diacritics are optional in written Cornish,
> but mandated in dictionaries, teaching material and the like, I,e,
> as Eddie suggests ‘Should they be hightly recommented in
> lexicographic/reference/didactic writings and optional elsewhere?‘,
> otherwise it becomes a language that alienates those trying to pick
> it up from a less familiar base, one more block to taking it up.
> Herbie

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow