[Spellyans] The recent englyn

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Tue Jul 26 10:15:38 BST 2011

Except, Andrew, that all the Celtic nations have a similar saying:

IRISH:  Tir gan teanga, tir gan anam (A country without a language is
a country without a soul)
GAELIC: Tir gun teanga, tir gun anam
MANX: Gyn chengey, gyn cheer (Without a language, without a country)
WELSH: Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon (A nation without a language
is a nation without a heart)
BRETON: Hep Brezhoneg, Breizh ebet (Without Breton, no Brittany)

All these languages have been, or still are, threatened by that of the
adjoining majority nation, sometimes forcibly.  It's not that long ago
that Welsh children heard speaking their own language in school would
be publicly humiliated, and the Bretons are still having big problems
with the Paris government.  Even the threat of extinction would prompt
the people into realising that loss of their language would mean the
loss of the most visible symbol of their identity, and that
assimilation will quickly follow.  Once that takes hold, then the very
identity dies.

Here, the Cornish have the problem of so many of their own number
believing what they have been told at school, and still told by the
media - that they are English (which is appalling behaviour).
Happily, other Cornish people know different and are actively
countering this fallacy.  The internet has been a massive boon in that
regard, but we encounter Anglocentric editing and worse in the process.

Craig

--
Craig Weatherhill