[Spellyans] 'Cornish'

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Nov 23 11:11:49 GMT 2011

Many thanks, Nicholas and Jon.  It's clear that there are very few
attestations of Kernowek and that all but one refer to the language (I
think what Bodinar is saying is that he never saw a book written in
the Cornish language).  However, we do have that one use of the word
as an adjective from Boson and I'm not too ready to dismiss it too
easily.  I wish we had more references to go on.

In his book on Scilly, Charles Thomas mentions the Borough Accounts of
St Ives 1523 making reference to a man listed as 'John Thomas,
Sullouk', and suggests this could represent a word for Scillonian,
*Syllowek, *Sullewek formed by imitating Kernowek.  Hence my question.

Craig