[Spellyans] 'Cornish'

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Nov 23 12:44:03 GMT 2011

It's a difficult one - with the exception of the 1572 reference, all
known attestations of *Kernewek, Kernowek are from the Late period c.
1680 to 1776.  Arguably, all the writers involved were learners/
antiquarians/hobbyists rather than native speakers, but most of them
did know native speakers - an advantage we haven't had since the
revival began.

As noted, most as noun or adjective, refer to the language, but we
have two attestations where the word is used as an adjective to
describe people.

Early in the revival, Nance and his colleagues decided that the word
would be used only in reference to the language.  This has influenced
revivalists ever since.  I wonder if the evidence we have, albeit
tenuous, is telling us something different, and that the word can be
used to mean "Cornish" in contexts other than the language?

Craig