[Spellyans] 'Cornish'

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Wed Nov 23 13:43:12 GMT 2011

 Ol an gwella,
 Jon

----- Original Message -----
From: Craig Weatherhill
Sent: 11/23/11 11:11 AM
To: Standard Cornish discussion list
Subject: Re: [Spellyans] 'Cornish'

 Many thanks, Nicholas and Jon. It's clear that there are very few attestations of Kernowek and that all but one refer to the language (I think what Bodinar is saying is that he never saw a book written in the Cornish language). However, we do have that one use of the word as an adjective from Boson and I'm not too ready to dismiss it too easily. I wish we had more references to go on.

 In his book on Scilly, Charles Thomas mentions the Borough Accounts of St Ives 1523 making reference to a man listed as 'John Thomas, Sullouk', and suggests this could represent a word for Scillonian, *Syllowek, *Sullewek formed by imitating Kernowek. Hence my question.

 Craig