[Spellyans] gawas 'to get'

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Sep 8 11:15:49 IST 2011

On 8 Sep 2011, at 09:48, Ray Chubb wrote:

> Precisely!  and Hebrew has had far more money and academic interest pumped into it than Cornish.  So isn't there just a small chance that the Israelis got it right and Nance is to be commended for, independently, coming up with the same approach for Cornish?

There is no road back to Nancian Cornish.

UCR rightly corrected Nance's over-use of voiceless consonants in final position in monosyllables, and restored the phoneme /ø/ which Nance had omitted.

But UCR still is too difficult for learners, as it does not mark many distinctions.

The SWF goes a long way towards being having a clear link between sound and spelling, but is marred by its reliance on arbitrary etymological preferences built into KK.

KS corrects the errors in the SWF and is the only orthography with an unambiguous link between spelling and pronunciation.

Both Jenner and Nance are to be commended for getting things going, but we know more about Cornish now than either of them did, and the work of later researchers should help us to move on.

If someone thinks that the corrections in UCR were well-founded, then they should give up UC and write UCR. There's no reason to keep writing "rak" and "mur" if you know that the pronunciation is "rag" [ræːɡ] and "muer" [møːr]~[meːr] (and not [ræk] and [myːr]~[miːr].

It is for similar reasons that people may wish to give up UCR and write KS: KS is more accurate, and helps to bolster better pronunciation. (OK, some people may wish to give up UC or UCR or KK and try to use the SWF, but the SWF leaks, and has arbitrary and unhelpful KKisms in it.)

The development of KS has taken a long time. Some people have complained that a reference grammar is not available. Of course books do not write themselves, and it was in producing the longest-ever text in Cornish, An Beybel Sans, with 815,000 words, that we discovered pretty much all the orthographic problems that one would encounter. A comprehensive *teaching* grammar is now in preparation. A reference grammar will be made available after that. And please remember, this work is done on a voluntary basis, and is unremunerated.