[Spellyans] gawas 'to get'

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Thu Sep 8 11:24:54 IST 2011

The dumbing process is even worse than that.  We have problems on the
Signage Panel because Highways (following a precedent started in the
USA [surprise!], and taken on by several British councils) have banned
superscript symbols on road signs.  That ridiculous policy includes
(or rather excludes) apostrophes.

We can't recommend things like For'eglos ('churchway') in West
Cornwall, or use Mene' to abbreviate *menydh (SWF).  We debated using
Por' for Par, but this edict means we can't, and gives us no choice
but Porth.

Translation becomes all but impossible.  For example:  "Robins Hill" -
is this "hill of a robin", "hill of several robins", or "hill named
after a person called Robin"?

Craig

PS - We haven't come to Camborne yet, and that's going to be a real
problem, as two spellings have emerged from a 15th century document
held in the the Records Office.  In this, the same scribe spells:
Kambron and Kambronn.  Ye Gods, that's all I needed!!!!

Craig Weatherhill