[Spellyans] gawas 'to get'

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Thu Sep 8 20:18:51 IST 2011

We have previously seen, examples of «eff» for "he" / "him".

I doubt that these were always intended to be pronounced [ɛv].
Presumably, there were two or more pronunciations. Maybe, it was [ɛv] before
a vowel. Maybe it was [e:v] when stressed; [ɛf] or [ɛ] when unstressed.
Maybe it was local variation or temporal variation. I don't know. However,
the pronunciation [ɛf] may be correct - at least sometimes.

The ending «-v» may 'make Cornish more accessible to learners'* but it's not
as authentic as «-f».

I suspect that KS2 uses «-v» when stressed mainly because the SWF does, and
KS2 was
originally designed to fix the SWF as minimally as possible - so as to gain
maximum acceptance in 2013. If KS2 is largely rejected in 2013, I'd like to
see KS3 return to «-f», i.e. as in KS1.

Of course, if KS2 is mainly accepted, "Congratulations!", then leave well
alone.

[* This is simply making Cornish more like English to make it easier for
English speakers to learn, possibly at the expense of authenticity.]

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim