[Spellyans] gawas 'to get'

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Sep 8 21:12:32 IST 2011

On 8 Sep 2011, at 20:11, Eddie Climo wrote:

> On 2011 Gwn 8, at 11:22, Michael Everson wrote:
>> I too was put off by -v in monosyllables at first, but I am well used to it now,
>
> But, Michael, you DON'T speak Cornish,

I have known how to pronounce Cornish for a lot longer than you have, I think. I edited a 25,000 word Cornish dictionary over a decade ago. I was well used to "ef" being [ɛv], and indeed favoured the use of f for [v] because this was familiar to me from my study of Old English over three decades ago. So when I say "I was put off by [the spelling of] -v in monosyllables at first", I meant what I said.

> Nor do you write in it, or translate into it.

I have read more than a few words of Cornish, Eddie.

> Surely, this statement is merely a rhetorical trope.

No. It was a statement of how I was familiar with one spelling convention and became used to another.