[Spellyans] gawas 'to get'

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Fri Sep 9 14:15:09 IST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: spellyans-bounces at kernowek.net [mailto:spellyans-bounces at kernowek.net]
On Behalf Of Craig Weatherhill
Sent: Friday, September 09, 2011 10:41 AM
To: Standard Cornish discussion list
Subject: Re: [Spellyans] gawas 'to get'

“We are three years into the SWF and, thus far, the so-called "side forms"
(i.e. traditional graphs) have been completely sidelined, as I predicted
they would.  If one spells in SWF/T, you immediately hear the cry - "That's
not the SWF!", even though it is.”

Really? I do SWF/T on the translation service. No problem.

“I think my only real success in this regard was to trap the Signage Panel
into agreeing that personal names should not be altered from their original
form, which is why (to their dismay) you'll see a sign reading Synt Colom
Veur (not Kolom, and certainly not KK's Kolomm).
Nonetheless some are pressing to change this agreement.

(I did actually press for Pluwgolom, but Oliver argued this away by claiming
it was only found as surname, not a place-name.  It is, of course, a surname
formed coined by the adoption of a place-name so, in my view, it remains
valid as a place-name).
Craig”