[Spellyans] cosin & hendas

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Thu Sep 15 12:07:33 IST 2011

Nicholas a scrifas:

“COUSIN
The glossary gives kenderow. This I can find only in Borlase and Pryce (handeru). I am unable to find it in Lhuyd. It does not seem to be in the OCV.

Me, too. Nance ’38 gives Lhuyd as the source of canderu. Gendall gives Lhuyd canderow. Can anyone locate this? I haven’t got Lhuyd’s AB on computer file, only as a paper copy.

The glossary also gives *keniterow, *keniterwy for a female cousin. This word is unattested and is based on Welsh cefnither and Breton keniterv ‘cousine’. I think the Cornish equivalent should be *kenitherow, rather than *keniterow.

Gendall cites Lhuyd <kẏnitherụ> in his A Students’ Dictionary of Modern Cornish as well as in his as yet unpublished 2007 A Practical Cornish Dictionary, but I cannot find the attestation. Can anyone corroborate this?

George says in GM09: “Nance’s form kenytherow tends to follow the W{elsh}.” He gives Cc *kom-nex´ti-derwa as the reconstructed base form, presumably of Breton keniterv, while Welsh is supposed to go back to *kom-nijo-derwa-, I wonder? The first reconstruction would indeed give C */t/ rather than /θ/.
It would be interesting to know if Lhuyd’s <kẏnitherụ> is indeed Cornish or rather Welsh as Gendall may have used all his citations (e.g. he also gives edil as an attestation of UC hedhel, hel ‘plough handle’, but this form is OW).
In any case, kenytherow has been part of the Revival since Nance. The Cornish form seems irretrievable.

The glossary does not cite the word most commonly attested in the Cornish texts: cosyn, cosyns:

E vannath genas, cosyn, du plegadow BK 651-52
Dun ahanan, cosyn ker BK 1099
Cosyn whek, dun ny warbarth BK 1373
ha prag e rug dyelha ow cosyns heb mur awher BK 1838-39
Lavar the’th arluth, cosyn BK 2112
prag e fuldrys ow cosyns BK 2286
Ow sockors da ha’m cosyns, prederough a’gys tasow BK 2818-19
Farwell, ru’m fer! ow cosyn whek BK 2892-93
Ow bannath genas, cosyn! BK 3048
Welcum, cosyn Chellery! BK 3245.

In some of those quotations cosyn does not mean collateral but good friend, as in Tudor usage. It is certain, however, that the extended sense derives from the original sense < consobrinus, and that the word cosyn was used in Cornish for aunt’s child/uncle’s child as well.

It should be cited; I suggest kosin ~ cosin would be the SWF spelling, we have RLC cosin and KK kosin and cosin in BK, though the spelling cosyn (PC, BK) is more frequent. Since RLC users dislike the graph <y> I should like to see SWF kosin ~ cosin rather than SWF kosyn ~ cosyn.

GRANDFATHER
The glossary gives sira wynn, which is attested once (sira uidn AB: 44b). It also gives *tas gwynn, which pace Nance, is not attested. The glossary does not the commonest word, hendas:

Auus, hendat OCV
whath kenthew ow hendas cayne pur bad dean lower accomptys CW 1446-47
haw hendas cayme whath en bew CW 1480
y bosta ge ow hendas CW 1610
am corf ythos devethys hag a adam tha hendas CW 1612-13
marsew ty cayne ow hendas CW 1650
cayne whath kenthota ow hendas CW 1660
ow hendas adam pur weare CW 2134.

The plural hendasow ‘ancestors’ is attested x 5 in TH and once in CW.

I recommend removing tas gwynn and inserting hendas, hendasow instead.”

Thanks, yes, I agree. Include hendas and place first, then sira wydn.