[Spellyans] 'Tryga' - personal form

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 12:37:24 IST 2011

One can see just by looking at it that *yn blejen a drygons y *is not
traditional Cornish, but a revivalist translation. First: y drygons y does
not mean 'they live, they dwell' but 'they will reamain'. Second: blejen is
unattested anywhere in Middle or Late Cornish. It is cited by Lhuyd and the
preform is in OCV. Blejen as the default word for 'flower' is another of
Nance's legacies. The word for flower in Cornish is flour or flouren. Third:
yn blejen is neither the subject nor the predicate of the verb; the correct
form of the verb would be y trygons y.

Nicholas