[Spellyans] SWF (t) and Maga web site

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Mon Aug 6 09:00:38 IST 2012

Nicky, I think you are missing the point.

We all know what the agreement was but the Maga web site is trying to
pretend that traditional/native Cornish does not exist.  Surely no
public body should be ignoring maybe up to 57% of the people that it
represents and the heritage on which the revival was based?

Maga is, in fact, working against traditional forms by ignoring them,
this is an unacceptable situation.  You say that the traditional/
native graphs are just personal forms that can be used by individuals
but is every individual confident about where to apply them?

If the Partnership do not wish to place a SWF (t) dictionary on the
web site, although I think they should, they should at least give
visitors to the site the opportunity to see what other forms of
Cornish look like including manuscript spelling.  Potential learners
could then make an informed choice.

Agan Tavas have allowed traditional/native Cornish orthography to be
removed from public awareness by the Partnership, so far without a
murmur. We have done this for the sake of giving the SWF a fair crack
of the whip. I think it is time that we started making a few demands
for our silence.

On 5 Est 2012, at 22:38, Nicky Rowe wrote:

> Maga are working under the idea that it was agreed at Treyarnon that
> trad forms would not be a separate orthography, just personal forms
> that can be used by individuals - which is why the dictionary does
> not have trad forms. It is the differing interpretations of the
> agreement that is causing the problems - Jenefer has said the lack
> of clarity was useful in 2008 but has caused problems since. If that
> is what was agreed then you can't really work against it. But if you
> have a different interpretation of the agreement then you need to
> tell them. They are not "working against" traditional forms, they
> are just working to what was agreed (or what they think was agreed).
>
> Nicky

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow