[Spellyans] SWF (t) and Maga web site

Lowe Jenefer jlowe at cornwall.gov.uk
Tue Aug 7 10:00:54 IST 2012

Dear all,

I am away working at an event in Brittany at the moment and therefore
only infrequently checking email.  However, I feel I must just set the
record straight. My position and that of MAGA is to work to the
agreements made unless and until those change in any way, via the
review. I have sent out the attached document, produced by the AHG as
part of the agreement and spec, many times, but it continues to be
ignored. It has always also been available on the website along with the
spec. It sets out clearly what was agreed on variants and on traditional
graphs and it is that agreement to which we adhere. The agreement put
traditional graphs in place for those who wish to use them, but was
emphatic that this did not create another 'form' - it wasn't a case of
use all or nothing of the traditional graphs. I think the paper makes
the position at the moment absolutely clear. That is why we are not
looking at a dictionary with traditional forms but explaining the
alternatives available within the one dictionary. The online dictionary
will enable searches for traditional graph spellings and should be
available, once a couple of technical issues are resolved.

We are very happy to accept traditional graphs in use - in newsletter
articles for example, but it was never the case that they would be used
officially and we have to stick to the agreements made.

Michael is right - SWF is not KK, the basis is different and we do need
to keep aesthetic and linguistic points apart. This is exactly why the
agreement at Treyarnon separated out the linguistic variants catered for
by the Middle and Late variants from the aesthetic considerations
represented by the traditional graphs. Trond was very clear on this
point and right to be so.  That is why he originally termed the
traditional graphs 'side forms' - meaning they exist beside and along
with the official forms.

And Michael - once again the initial information on the conference is
available in the latest newsletter you have received. Full information
will go out as soon as the details of venue are confirmed.

I may not be online again for a day or two but hope that this will help
to explain why we take the stance we do in support of the agreement as
made.

Yn lel,

Jenefer Lowe

Development Manager / Dyghtyer displegya

Cornish Language Partnership / Keskowethyans an Taves Kernewek

Cornwall Council / Konsel Kernow

Dalvenie House / Chi Dalvenie

County Hall / Lys Kernow

Truro

TR1 3AY

tel: / pell: 01872 323465

email / ebost: jlowe at cornwall.gov.uk

website / gwiasva : www.magakernow.org.uk

Gwrewgh agan sewya der Twitter!

@magakernow

Gwrewgh agan kavos der Facebook!  Find us on Facebook!

www.facebook.com/magakernow

The Cornish Language Partnership is funded by the Department for
Communities and Local Government and Cornwall Council.

Arhesans Keskowethyans an Taves Kernewek yw provies gans an Asran rag
Kemenethow ha Governans Leel, ha Konsel Kernow