[Spellyans] SWF (t) and Maga web site

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Tue Aug 7 11:28:33 IST 2012

Jenefer, I think you are beginning to sound like a gramophone record
stuck in the grove.

We all know what the Treyarnon agreement was, the point that I have
been making on this forum is that the Partnership is a public body
representing Cornish and the whole of the Cornish language movement
but since the removal of the SWF (t) glossary from the web site there
is no indication at all of what native Cornish looks like.  The (t)
glossary was in fact a very poor indication of traditional spelling
but at least it was something.

How can the Partnership accept public money when it represents only
those who think that it is O.K. to tinker wholesale with native forms
of Cornish?

I shall certainly be making representations at the next Partnership
meeting to have a page on the web site dedicated to show what various
orthographies look like including those of native writers.  If I am
outvoted as I usually am by the politicians on the Partnership,
(including the ones who speak Cornish) I shall take the matter up with
Cornwall Councillors.

On 7 Est 2012, at 10:00, Lowe Jenefer wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am away working at an event in Brittany at the moment and
> therefore only infrequently checking email.  However, I feel I must
> just set the record straight. My position and that of MAGA is to
> work to the agreements made unless and until those change in any
> way, via the review. I have sent out the attached document, produced
> by the AHG as part of the agreement and spec, many times, but it
> continues to be ignored. It has always also been available on the
> website along with the spec. It sets out clearly what was agreed on
> variants and on traditional graphs and it is that agreement to which
> we adhere. The agreement put traditional graphs in place for those
> who wish to use them, but was emphatic that this did not create
> another 'form' - it wasn't a case of use all or nothing of the
> traditional graphs. I think the paper makes the position at the
> moment absolutely clear. That is why we are not looking at a
> dictionary with traditional forms but explaining the alternatives
> available within the one dictionary. The online dictionary will
> enable searches for traditional graph spellings and should be
> available, once a couple of technical issues are resolved.
>
> We are very happy to accept traditional graphs in use - in
> newsletter articles for example, but it was never the case that they
> would be used officially and we have to stick to the agreements made.
>
> Michael is right - SWF is not KK, the basis is different and we do
> need to keep aesthetic and linguistic points apart. This is exactly
> why the agreement at Treyarnon separated out the linguistic variants
> catered for by the Middle and Late variants from the aesthetic
> considerations represented by the traditional graphs. Trond was very
> clear on this point and right to be so.  That is why he originally
> termed the traditional graphs 'side forms' - meaning they exist
> beside and along with the official forms.
>
> And Michael - once again the initial information on the conference
> is available in the latest newsletter you have received. Full
> information will go out as soon as the details of venue are confirmed.
>
> I may not be online again for a day or two but hope that this will
> help to explain why we take the stance we do in support of the
> agreement as made.
>
> Yn lel,
>
> Jenefer Lowe
> Development Manager / Dyghtyer displegya
> Cornish Language Partnership / Keskowethyans an Taves Kernewek
> Cornwall Council / Konsel Kernow
> Dalvenie House / Chi Dalvenie
> County Hall / Lys Kernow
> Truro
> TR1 3AY
>
> tel: / pell: 01872 323465
> email / ebost: jlowe at cornwall.gov.uk
> website / gwiasva : www.magakernow.org.uk
>
> Gwrewgh agan sewya der Twitter!
> @magakernow
>
> Gwrewgh agan kavos der Facebook!  Find us on Facebook!
> www.facebook.com/magakernow

> [...]

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow