[Spellyans] SWF (t) and Maga web site

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Tue Aug 7 12:04:25 IST 2012

As you all know, I've been worried about the apparent sidelining of
traditional Cornish ever since 2008.

I currently advise the Signage Panel, and concern myself mainly with
historic place-names, mostly in an attempt to limit damage done in the
past (and which might be carried through) through insufficient research.

Obviously, this has to be done within the confines of the SWF but one
significant place-name was decided by the Partnership, and not the
Panel, and what they approved was not an SWF spelling (I think we all
know which place-name this is).  I was, and still am, angry about this
because, not only is the Partnership entirely unqualified to comment
or decide upon place-names, but also because members of the Panel were
close to agreeing a compromise form in which non-trad users lose a
letter, and trad. users gain a letter.  My list, mentioned below,
derogates from the Partnership's unacceptable decision, and gives the
compromise form we were so close to agreeing before the matter was
taken out of our hands.

When the Panel was founded, its membership was well balanced between
users of traditional and non-traditional Cornish:  now, the only voice
for traditional Cornish connected with the Panel is me.  Nevertheless,
the Panel members do work together quite well.

The Panel has so far decided upon about 300 historic place-names.
Bearing in mind that we are restricted to the confines of the SWF, I
am quite happy to agree with all bar 16 of these.  I question 12 of
them to varying degrees;  the other 4 (including the example cited
above) I absolutely oppose.  Overall that isn't too bad.

However, the master list is being kept only in the Main Form SWF.  So,
to counter yet another sidelining of traditional Cornish, I am
maintaining a parallel list which presents the agreed names in both
main form and traditional graphs.

Craig