[Spellyans] SWF (t) and Maga web site

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Thu Aug 9 17:13:13 IST 2012

On Aug 9, 2012, at 5:50 PM, Nicholas Williams wrote:

> Much of what you say below is controversial and I disagree with most of it.

As I expected...

> Nonetheless the following should be pointed out: if we are resuscitating, reviving or revitalising an extinct language our orthography ought ipso facto to be traditional.

Nicholas, this is an opinion. I happen to agree with you but there may be those who don't.

> Otherwise we are not reviving but conlanging.

No. How close this standardisation should be is a matter of discussion.

‹dh› is legitimized  through Lhuyd and over a century of use in Revived Cornish.
final ‹v› occurs in Lhuyd.

The actual interpretation of what these spelling mean in the context of traditional Cornish is up for interpretation on all sides, your, my, Ben's, Albert's, Nance's, Gendall's, Saunder's, Bailey's or Ken George's interpretations are no more or less valid. They can all be backed up with the appropriate attestations and respective interpretations. This can't be about who was "right" all along, but how to move forward.

> Having a non-traditional orthography is absurd in itself.
> To give it preferential status is ridiculous.
> Nicholas

Yes, but there are no absolutes here. The question is how can we get as close to traditional Cornish as possible and find the greatest consensus doing that.
Dan