[Spellyans] SWF (t) and Maga web site

Hedley Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 9 19:50:06 IST 2012

On 2012 Est 9, at 17:36, Nicholas Williams wrote:
> …My objection to the SWF is that it was not the work of linguists.

I remember being told (by someone on this list, whose blushes I shall spare) that only people with formal academic qualifications in linguistics warranted the term 'linguist'. By this idiosyncratic definition, I (along with most of the members of this list) am in good company as an alleged 'non-linguist', along with Mordon Nance (the best lexicographer we've ever had), Caradar Smith (perhaps our best poet), Talek Hooper (an outstanding scholar of the language), and Perghyryn Palmer (our best novelist, imho).

However, as I pointed out at the time to this lexically challenged unfortunate (off list), the American OED disagrees with this notion, and offers this more standard definition:
> linguist.
> 	1 a person skilled in foreign languages.
> 	2 a person who studies linguistics.

'Academic qualifications' are notably not mentioned. By this more plausible definition of 'linguist', I imagine that there were indeed some linguists involved in drawing up the SWF. Of course, some of them were clearly not very good linguists!

> I wasn't allowed in the room, nor was Michael.
I remember. Given the way things have panned out since then, though, it's hard to see how your presence could have made much difference.

> …It was a bad compromise devised by amateurs.
According to the AOED:
> amateur
> • a person who engages in a pursuit…on an unpaid basis.
> • a person considered contemptibly inept at a particular activity
I imagine just about all of us Kernewegoryon fit in the first category, although surely the second one is more sparsely populated—at least, on the Authenticist side!

> In the long term SWF/K or T at least in its present form has no future.

A tempting speculation perhaps, but as the Danish proverb says (according to Google Translate, at least):
> Forudsigelse er altid svært, især i fremtiden.

> Prediction is always difficult, especially of the future.

Eddie Climo
Gwask an Orlewen