[Spellyans] SWF (t) and Maga web site

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Thu Aug 9 20:34:20 IST 2012

On Aug 9, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Nicholas Williams wrote:

> We have been through all this many times. I don't object to <dh>, I object to <dh> after unstressed syllables as you know perfectly well.

I know, I realise this. But this is according to your theory that consonants are generally unvoiced in final position in unstressed syllables. This is, however a theory, an informed opinion if you will. There are just as informed opinions that this was not the case. We argue theories until we are blue in the face, but that doesn't change the fact that we will never know whether traditional native Cornish speakers had voiced or voiceless consonants in this position. There are the two major theories and the question is how to deal with this when standardizing the orthography of Revived Cornish.

> My objection to the SWF is that it was not the work of linguists.

Not true. While there were so-called amateurs who codified some rules, the basis of their work were the extant orthographies of Cornish which where put together by linguists. You know well that there are no absolute proofs in many areas of historical linguistics and you will find that even professional linguists argue about varying theories and this is no different. Nicholas you know very well that I greatly respect your work, but you too can never know whether this particular feature of Cornish was in fact the way your theory says it was.

> I wasn't allowed in the room, nor was Michael. You weren't there. It was
> a bad compromise devised by amateurs.

There were a number of bad features, but there were also some that one can work with. Some features will just have to remain open to interpretation considering the fact that Cornish died out and we cannot consult native speakers.

> In the long term SWF/K or T at least in its present form has no future.

It needs to develop and be corrected in many places, but apart from the question of traditional graphs, I think we're on the right track where most features are concerned. Others remain problematic and I will agree with you on that.
Dan