[Spellyans] SWF (t) and Maga web site

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Aug 9 21:22:25 IST 2012

On 9 Aug 2012, at 20:34, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Nicholas Williams wrote:
>
>> We have been through all this many times. I don't object to <dh>, I object to <dh> after unstressed syllables as you know perfectly well.
>
> I know, I realise this. But this is according to your theory that consonants are generally unvoiced in final position in unstressed syllables. This is, however a theory, an informed opinion if you will.

Actually, we give a proof. We give a phonotactic structure that works within the structure of the language as a whole.

> There are just as informed opinions that this was not the case.

So far I have not seen anyone examine the structure we put forward and offer explanations for where elements like dh/th and v/f follow a different structure.

> We argue theories until we are blue in the face, but that doesn't change the fact that we will never know whether traditional native Cornish speakers had voiced or voiceless consonants in this position.

We believe that the texts show us a pattern, which we have described. You haven't described the pattern you think the texts show. Your whole argument is about a reading of Lhuyd and that doesn't seem very deep, as you've not been able to back up your "theory" with examples.

> There are the two major theories and the question is how to deal with this when standardizing the orthography of Revived Cornish.

Yes, and one explains Cornish phonology in terms of itself, and the other says "Cornish is like Welsh".