[Spellyans] Final -dh, final -th, final -v, final -f

Linus Band linusband at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 11:59:00 IST 2012

Sorry for not actively taking part in this lively discussion. I feel that
my knowledge and experience is still lacking in many ways. I'd like to add
one thing, though. Nicholas, you write:

>  Notice that the scribe of BK writes: Anwek lowan ove suer BK 1508, where
> the final segment in the verb ove is [v] not [f].

I believe that *ove* should be interpreted as *o've* rather than *ov* with
a Norman lengthening *-e*. My reason for believing this is found in the
syllable count. If we were to interpret *ove *as /oːv/ 'I am', this would
break the metre:

Anwek lowen ove suer 6 (BK 1508)
pan deffy ha trewelas. 7
Ow yskerans ny vith fuer 7
mar ny rowns ow gohelas 7

The last line is actually found as *mar ny rowns ow gohlas *in the MS, but
you yourself have amended *gohlas *to *gohelas*, to which I very much agree.
Now, if we were to read *ove *as /o viː/ 'I (!) am' the metre stays intact:

Anwek lowen ove suer 7 (BK 1508)
pan deffy ha trewelas. 7
Ow yskerans ny vith fuer 7
mar ny rowns ow gohelas 7

So: /v/ in *ove* is not the final consonant of the verb /oːv/, but rather
the initial consonant of the personal pronoun *ve* /viː/.

All the best, loving this discussion,

Linus