[Spellyans] Final -dh, final -th, final -v, final -f

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Sat Aug 11 18:50:09 IST 2012

Place-names in West Cornwall usually give a good indication of what
Late Cornish did with such words.

<marhek, marhak> occurs in the Cornish name for Zennor Hill:  this
was:  Karnemorecke 1572; Karmarracke 1653; Carne Marrack 1832.  No
sign of -g,  and this is particularly significant as there is very
strong evidence of Cornish sill being a native vernacular in Zennor
parish c. 1840.

That <ryp, reb> became <reb> is evidenced by the place-name Morrab,
Penzance.  BUT there is also Zawn Vorrap, St Levan.  As names with
'Zawn' only date from the 16th century, this seems to indicate that
<ryp/rep> and <ryb/reb> co-existed in Late Cornish.

<medhek> 'doctor, surgeon' occurs in Tremethick, Madron, and
Parkenmethek (Colan) (1423).  The former was Tremethek 1284, 1394
1451;  Tremythek 1334;  Tremethek 1522.  Again, no sign of -g.
However, Trevithal (paul) seems to contain a related word as
qualifier.  This was Trevethegal 1315, 1317, 1321;  Trevethygel,
Trevethall 1389;  Trevithal, Trevergal 1668; Trevithole 1696;
Trevidall 1725.  I believe this element to be an extension of
<medhek>, perhaps a word meaning 'surgery', but the earlier references
show that, in such an extension K softened to G.

Make what you will of that evidence.

Craig