[Spellyans] SWF (t) and Maga web site

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 20:01:08 IST 2012

Comparison with Breton and Welsh is invalid. Breton and Welsh are still spoken. Cornish died out as a community language during the course of the eighteenth century. What Modern Breton and Welsh do are not relevant for Cornish.
If we should be comparing Cornish orthography with anything, that should be the spelling of Middle Breton and Middle Welsh.
Middle Welsh uses both c and k. Middle Breton uses c both before back vowels and r and l as well as for s before front vowels. For k before front vowels Middle Breton uses qu.
So Cornish kyg, kig 'flesh' in Middle Breton is often spelt quic.

Nicholas