[Spellyans] SWF (t) and Maga web site

A. J. Trim ajtrim at msn.com
Fri Aug 17 01:03:23 IST 2012

Dan asked, ”What do you think?”

I think that the SWF is almost acceptable as a compromise orthography, providing that the traditional graphs are being used.
I would abandon SWF/K and promote SWF/T as the official form. Those who want to use SWF/K have the burden of justification. SWF/K is easier and less English than SWF/T but SWF/K is also much less Cornish. It should not have official backing or be using public funds. You cannot teach children that SWF/K is Cornish only that it is a modern language based on Cornish. They will quickly loose interest as the historical link is broken.

It is important that the Cornish seen in re-spelt place names matches the official form, and that it looks similar to the traditionally-spelt obviously Cornish names that have always been in use. That way, the language relates to the place, rather than looking alien (e.g. Kammbronn for Cambron or Pennsans / Pednsans for Pensans).

We are then left with some minor faults in the SWF like the distribution of i and y.

I would have i for long and y for short, and y at the end of a word. An i in polysyllables like pitsa “pizza” would be long with no need of the circumflex. The KS bës/bÿs words would become bes/bis words. You may want to spell these like beis or just have them as unmarked optional spellings as we do for KS triga/trega words.

As we have seen on this forum, and from new publications in KS, it is clearly superior to mark vowels with diacritics, especially for the letter u. KS does an excellent job at distinguishing the vowels but I believe that the SWF and place-names on signposts will remain diacritic-free for the foreseeable future. Perhaps, we’ll find out next year!

As for -v, I would spell this -f. Stressed -f would then need to be -ff.

As for -dh, I would spell this -th, except where we know it to be voiced. The digraph dh is not a traditional graph any more than hw is. dh deviates from the traditional language. dh should be used only where a th is known to have been voiced (or where it has been generally agreed that it should be voiced), e.g. fedh “faith” but not in words such as menydh. This should be menyth, but that is just my (not very-well informed) opinion.

Regards,

Andrew J. Trim