[Spellyans] SWF (t) and 2013

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Fri Aug 17 15:43:30 IST 2012

On Aug 17, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Ray Chubb wrote:

> I've changed the heading so that Jenny doesn't need to panic every time that she sees it.
>
> Andrew is making a good point here.  School children are not stupid.  I remember being told by a friend who taught a little Cornish in a school using SWF that when he introduced 'chi' he was asked why is it that we see it all around us spelt 'chy'?

Very good point. We should definitely say that if the SWF is to retain the alternative variants with and without traditional graphs, that the variants with trad. graphs should be allowed to write word final ‹y› in stressed position too. This would mean having to override Trond's decision.

> Clearly there are two groups of adult Cornish users which are split about 50/50 between those who want to imitate the Cornish of our ancestors and those who want a totally logical orthography.  We have no indication of what the split would be amongst children.  Is there a child psychologist on this list?

The positions between trad graphs and KK-graphs are too entrenched. I have my doubts whether we'll find common ground there, as the propaganda's been spread that trad-graphs are too "English" - which is, of course untrue. They are Cornish through and through… while k-only is Breton, ‹hw› is Welsh and Old English (in as far as modern editions go that replace 'wynn' with ‹w›).
Dan