[Spellyans] SWF (t) and Maga web site

Nicky Rowe nickyrowe at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 14:41:10 IST 2012

On 17 August 2012 22:09, Hedley Climo <eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 2012 Est 17, at 14:56, Nicky Rowe wrote:
> >
> > The next generation, who were not part of the disputes of the past 25
> years, want one and are crying out for one.

Really? Do you have any evidence to support this claim? It does sound
> awfully anecdotal.

Read this discussion: http://www.memrise.com/topic/cornish/forum/ Many
there are beginners and want the site to use a single form to make things
easier for them.

If you are involved with Memrise you will know that the technology behind
it does not really allow for the kind of variant forms that Cornish
has. Tools such as this which require collaboration among a large number of
people to be really effective require a consistent orthography, and if
everyone just "made their own minds up", like is being suggested by some
here, these projects just get bogged down in talk of orthography.

Localisation is another area where a single form is needed. I am involved
in the localisation of Firefox, VLC, Ubuntu and Chrome, which requires
translating thousands of strings. Huge projects like Ubuntu cannot be done
by one person alone, it needs to be a collaborative project. If one person
wants to use one orthography and another wants to use a different one, it
ends up in stalemate if there are two or more equal versions. There cannot
be K and T versions of Firefox for example, it's one or the other.

Most of what MAGA does can only be done using one form. Trying to duplicate
Tamm ha Tamm, Porth, promotional material etc two or even four times would
be a huge waste of their already limited resources. I'm not arguing for or
against the particular form they use, just that a single form is necessary.

Duplicating dictionaries and newsletters etc is fine and easy but there are
many areas where it is just not practical. The number of these areas is
going to grow as technology advances and is used more and more for teaching
and learning.

Nicky