[Spellyans] SWF (t) and Maga web site

Ken MacKinnon ken at ferintosh.org
Sat Aug 18 17:14:19 IST 2012

Clyw! Clyw!  - yn gwyr  - an ken Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: spellyans-bounces at kernowek.net [mailto:spellyans-bounces at kernowek.net]
On Behalf Of Hedley Climo
Sent: 17 August 2012 22:09
To: Standard Cornish discussion list
Subject: Re: [Spellyans] SWF (t) and Maga web site

On 2012 Est 17, at 14:56, Nicky Rowe wrote:

> No, the more longstanding members of language activists are not ready for
a single written form.
Incorrect. Many of these older people remember the days when there was but a
single written form, up until 1987, when the KKites engineered the first
split in the Revival. Like them, some of us who joined the Revival after
that date, like me, still use that form: Unified Cornish.

> The next generation, who were not part of the disputes of the past 25
years, want one and are crying out for one.
Really? Do you have any evidence to support this claim? It does sound
awfully anecdotal.

> Collaborative projects such as localisation and online community-based
learning are not viable without a single form.
I think not. There are many collaborative projects that have taken place
over the last quarter century, despite the lack of a single form. I guess
they're made less easy because of the split, but they've hardly been 'not
viable'.

> What you all need to be asking yourselves is what will make things easier
for the next generation, not how to just get what you want and make things
better for just you.
Well, what I've asked myself over the last half a dozen years is, "What can
*I* contribute to the Revival that will help to support it?" My answer is to
learn the language and to enjoy anc cherish it; to speak it when I have the
chance, both on- and off-line; and to write, translate and publish in it. In
this latter field, I've focussed on creating publications (both in print,
e-books, audio and video) aimed mainly at children and young learners.

That's MY contribution to the present generation-and to ones to come. As a
result, in some 3 years of operation, Gwask an Orlewen has issued some three
dozen publications, with more to come.

Perhaps what YOU need to ask yourself is, "What contribution have YOU
yourself made to the Revival?"

> If you can't agree on a single form - NOT two equal forms - then the next
generation will be questioning your fitness to lead the revival.
'Lead the Revival'? This suggests a peculiarly top-down, centralist,
authoriarian approach to the Revival. In my view, progress in the Revival
over the 110+ years of its existence has been made by individuals-and groups
of individuals-getting off their bums and DOING something for the revival of
the language.

Progress has NOT been achieved by people looking around for leaders, or
gurus, or figures of authority.

Eddie Climo
No virus found in this message.