[Spellyans] SWF (t) and 2013

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Sun Aug 19 13:21:10 IST 2012

Having had a look at the forum below I wonder if the 'next generation'
really understand the issues involved.  Those of us who were closer to
the beginning of the revival appreciate how there was a need for
authenticity in order to avoid ridicule from academia. Common Cornish,
introduced in 1987, has indeed suffered ridicule from Celtic Studies
academia in a way which Unified never did.

Having said that Nicky's posting has got me thinking.  It seems that
'k' before back vowels does occur occasionally in the traditional
texts.  Perhaps the 'authenticists' could give way on this in 2013 in
order to reduce the number of variants in the SWF.  On the other hand
'hw' seems never to occur nor does 'kw' therefore in return perhaps
the 'logicalists' could give these up for 'wh' which is always used
and 'qw' which occurs occasionally instead of the normal 'qu'.

On 18 Est 2012, at 14:41, Nicky Rowe wrote:

> On 17 August 2012 22:09, Hedley Climo <eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 2012 Est 17, at 14:56, Nicky Rowe wrote:
> >
> > The next generation, who were not part of the disputes of the past
> 25 years, want one and are crying out for one.
> Really? Do you have any evidence to support this claim? It does
> sound awfully anecdotal.
>

> Read this discussion: http://www.memrise.com/topic/cornish/forum/
> Many there are beginners and want the site to use a single form to
> make things easier for them.
>
> If you are involved with Memrise you will know that the technology
> behind it does not really allow for the kind of variant forms that
> Cornish has. Tools such as this which require collaboration among a
> large number of people to be really effective require a consistent
> orthography, and if everyone just "made their own minds up", like is
> being suggested by some here, these projects just get bogged down in
> talk of orthography.
>
> Localisation is another area where a single form is needed. I am
> involved in the localisation of Firefox, VLC, Ubuntu and Chrome,
> which requires translating thousands of strings. Huge projects like
> Ubuntu cannot be done by one person alone, it needs to be a
> collaborative project. If one person wants to use one orthography
> and another wants to use a different one, it ends up in stalemate if
> there are two or more equal versions. There cannot be K and T
> versions of Firefox for example, it's one or the other.
>
> Most of what MAGA does can only be done using one form. Trying to
> duplicate Tamm ha Tamm, Porth, promotional material etc two or even
> four times would be a huge waste of their already limited resources.
> I'm not arguing for or against the particular form they use, just
> that a single form is necessary.
>
> Duplicating dictionaries and newsletters etc is fine and easy but
> there are many areas where it is just not practical. The number of
> these areas is going to grow as technology advances and is used more
> and more for teaching and learning.
>
> Nicky

Ray Chubb

Portreth