[Spellyans] SWF (t) and 2013

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Sun Aug 19 13:45:00 IST 2012

There is always room for compromise, but compromise is a two-way
process.  Thus far, only one side - traditionalists - have made the
necessary moves.  The "logicalists" have yet to do so and, until and
unless they do, we're going nowhere.

However, and although some dislike final -i, I have no problem with
it.  In place-name history (textual evidence in my own view), <chi>
occurs as often as <chy> does, and final -i is common in Late Cornish,
too, particularly in plurals.  chi > chei (Late variant) is also a lot
smoother than chy > chei.

I also think there's a case for <oe> in certain words, e.g. "goon",
but only for that sound, and not to the extent that KK used it.
<goen> is the commonest spelling of that element in place-name
history.  The E is dropped for derivatives (plurals, adjectives,
etc.).  Therefore, there is traditional precedence and justification
for those graphs.  As Ray says, there is none, or next to none, for
<hw> and <kw>, and where it represents at least 3 sound values.

The question remains - how much are the "logicalists" prepared to move
in order to gain a workable solution?

Craig