[Spellyans] Trailya

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Dec 3 11:35:08 GMT 2012

On 3 Dec 2012, at 10:43, Ray Chubb <ray at spyrys.org> wrote:

> How does KS spell 'draylya' - to drag/trail behind?  I am finding that at first glance 'trailya' is leading me to think of that word.

Does it rhyme with English "dry" or with English "dray"? If the former, we would write ‹draylya›; if the latter, ‹drailya›.

Both 'draylya' and 'trailya' derive from the same Middle English word 'trailen, drailen'; the forms with t- are much more common in Middle English. But it seems that the two split lexically in Cornish.