[Spellyans] uhel

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Thu Dec 20 13:37:05 GMT 2012

Michael,

Going through Nicholas' "Desky Kernowek" again I saw you transcribe ‹uhel› 'high' as [ˈjuəl] which is nothing like any of the other orthographies' recommended pronunciation, nor is it anything you would hear from RC speakers.

Here are the attestations:
{C vghell (PA 3x), vghel (PA 3x), vhel (OM 6x, PC 3x, BM 4x), huhel (OM 4x, PC 7x, RD 4x, Pr), vhell (BM 2x, 10x), vhal (BK 7x), yth el (BK), vhall (BK 1x, TH 1x, CW 2x), vghall (CW 3x, H 1x), ughall (CW 1x), vhull (CW 1x), ughell (JK 2x), euhall (WR 2x, TB 1x), ewhall (NB, Lh, WB, Pr), ehụal (Lh), ụhal (Lh), yụhal (Lh), eụhal (Lh), euhal (Lh, Pr), heụhal (Lh), iuhal (Lh), hual (JB), euhell (Pr), uhal (Pr 4x), uhel (Pr 2x), uthall (Pr), uhall (Pr), yuhal (Lh); (cmp./sup.) uhella (PC, Pr), vghella (BK, CW), vhella (BK 2x, TH 5x), vghelha (BK), vhelha (BK 4x), ughella (JK, Pr)};

As quite to be expected the attestations show a monophthong in MC [ˈyːhəl] and a diphthong in LC [ˈɪʊhɐl] or [ˈɪʍɐl].

I should recommend changing this in further editions of this otherwise excellent book.