[Spellyans] uhel

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Sun Dec 23 19:02:31 GMT 2012

HUGUS:  Hyeucoys 1327; Hewgoys 1516; Heygoys 1518; Hugouse 1531; Heugeus 1534; Hewgose 1605.
Padel believes this to be a compound of uhel and coos (as in the Breton place-name Huelgoat), but there is no sign of L in the recorded examples.  I think this more likely to be a compound of ugh and coos.

Craig