[Spellyans] Cornish language declared extinct by UN

N Meek nev.meek at sky.com
Fri Feb 3 09:54:26 GMT 2012

Michael,

No worries.

You may recall that at the time UNESCO didn't have a classification for
revitalised. They listed both Cornish and Manx as "extinct" under their
technical definition.

Subsequently representations were made that this wasn't helpful in terms of
language revitalisation.

UNESCO then amended their classifications.

Cornish is now "critically endangered" - "revived/revitalised".

Hope you are well.

Nev

On 3 February 2012 09:49, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:

> On 3 Feb 2012, at 09:43, N Meek wrote:
>
> > That story was from 2009.
>
> So it was. I didn't see the date. A friend just forwarded a link to me
> today.

Nev Meek
nev.meek at sky.com